Shift handover is a critical part of any business. It is the process of passing on vital information to the next shift of workers, such as tasks that need to be completed and key performance indicators (KPI) for the day.
Shift handover has traditionally been done in person or over the phone. However, with COVID-19 limiting face-to-face interactions, many businesses have turned to digital shift handover as an effective alternative.
1. Ensure That You Include The Right Content And Information.
There are a few key things to consider when preparing your handover document. First, it’s important that you include all necessary information in the document itself. This will not only make the document more useful for your new shift but also increase its effectiveness overall. Think about what kind of content is needed for a successful handover, and make sure it’s included in your digital shift handover document!
Next, consider what type of information should be included in this process. This can be anything from personal details about yourself or other colleagues on the team (like names and titles), to details about their workstation equipment (like names of machines or departments).
When considering how much detail should go into each section of this handover process, take into account how long each task takes—the more time-consuming something is, the more detail should probably go into describing it!
2. Consider your Staff’s Needs And How They Communicate.
For example, if your staff is used to working with a tool that uses video and audio calls, such as Skype or Zoom, then consider using something similar.
Similarly, if you want to use a messaging app like Slack or WhatsApp for communication inside the team, make sure the tool supports these types of messages before committing.
- Consider your staff’s needs and how they communicate. You should pick something that makes sense for your team members—for example, some may prefer email or Facebook Messenger while others might be more comfortable with something like Slack or WhatsApp.
3. Make Sure That Your Shift Handover Software Is Easy To Use.
In order to make the shift handover app process as smooth as possible, you will want to use a tool that is easy to understand and navigate. This means that it should be easy for your employees to find information and add their own information to the system. It should also be easy for them to share what they have learned with other team members during their shift handovers.
The best way to ensure this is by making sure that your shift hand over software is easy-to-use. You don’t have time for users who struggle with complicated interfaces or confusing workflows!
4. Make Sure You Have A Choice In Communicating Data.
If you’re moving from a paper-based process to an electronic one, it’s likely that your staff will need to communicate data in a different way.
You should make sure that the system you choose allows them to do this. This could be via email, text message, voice call, or video call. It may be best to have more than one choice of communication method so that your staff can choose which is most convenient for them at any given time.
5. Be Aware Of Different Users’ Permissions.
The next tip is to be aware of different users’ permissions. It’s important to know what permissions each user has, and make sure you have the right permissions for the task you are performing.
You should have one person in charge of making sure that all members of the digital team have the correct roles and levels of access within your IT system so that they can do their job effectively. If someone doesn’t have access to certain data or applications, they’ll struggle when they try to do their work.
6. Integrate Other Processes
- Integrate other processes into your shift handover software such as notifications, alarms, reports, and forms.
- For example, you can integrate a form asking the new employee to fill out their details and sign off on the handover. If you have an alarm in place for if someone’s badge is not scanned at certain times or locations it could trigger an email to be sent to the manager on duty reminding them of what they need to do next before they leave.
7. Ensure That Your Shift Handover Software Integrates With Other Processes In Your Business.
You can make your shift handover software even more useful by ensuring that it integrates with other business processes.
This will enable you to take advantage of existing tools and services in your business, including:
- Automation tools like CRM and supply chain management systems. Integration with these systems will allow workers to access information about their current customers as well as orders, deliveries, and invoices. The data from these systems can then be shared with the relevant staff member in real-time using automated alerts sent via shift handover software. This will ensure that everything is up-to-date at all times and help improve efficiency across the board when it comes to customer service or order fulfillment.
8. Choose A Configurable Solution
- Choose a configurable solution and ensure it is scalable to future changes in your operations and the growth of your business.
- Ensure that you have the right tools for the job; make sure you can scale your system to accommodate future growth
- Make sure that you have the right support to meet your needs
Once you have the above tools in place, your handover process will be more efficient. With more time on your hands to get things done, you will have the peace of mind that comes with knowing everything is under control.